Within Contrast UI:
- Open up the user menu in the top right, select Organization Settings then proceed to Single Sign-On.
- Select Get Started (this will not change your authentication method until fully saved).
Within the Microsoft Entra admin center:
- Navigate to Home -> Applications -> Enterprise applications
- Select + New application
- Search for "Contrast" and select the Contrast Security tile and "Create".
- Select Get started for 2. Setup single sign on then select the SAML tile.
- At the prompt asking whether to Save single sign-on setting, choose No, I'll save later (as the default URLs are simply placeholders at this stage).
- Select Edit in the Basic SAML Configuration tile.
- Copy the values of Entity ID and Assertion Consumer URL from the Contrast Single Sign-On configuration page and paste them into the corresponding fields here.
- Click Save in the Basic SAML Configuration pane.
- Select Edit in the Attributes & Claims tile.
- Select Unique User Identifier (Name ID). Ensure the Source Attribute value maps to user.mail. You should end up with the below configuration:
- In the SAML Certificates pane, copy the value of App Federation Metadata Url (to be used below).
Back to the Contrast UI's Single Sign-On page:
- Fill in the Identity Provider field: This is a name of your choosing and has no bearing on the SAML configuration.
- In the idP Metadata URL: Paste the copied value from Entra ID's App Federation Metadata Url above.
- Default Organization Role: This is the role new users will be assigned when utilizing provisioning.
- Default Application Access Group: This is the level of access to onboarded applications a newly provisioned user will have.
Enable user provisioning: Automatically creates new users in your organization when your idP approves login requests
- Selecting this will add a new Accepted Domain(s) field above. This is required and any email domains for your organization should be added. Example: acme.com, acme-org.com
- Add users to their Contrast groups upon SSO login: This allows you to map groups from AD with groups in Contrast's UI for application-level access. Steps to configure this will be covered later (information in our docs here).
- Remove users from their Contrast groups upon SSO login: This will remove users from any groups not present in their SAML assertion, so if you make manual changes to users by adding them to new groups, they will be removed if the group is also not present in their assertion.
- Select Save
Do not log out of your current session until the login testing is complete in the next section.
If you are configuring this for one of Contrast Security's SaaS orgs you will want to wait about 10-15 minutes after the last step before proceeding. It generally takes about this long for the authentication changes to propagate to all of our Contrast UI application nodes.
- Open a new Incognito browser window or utilize a different browser than you are otherwise using for your current session in the above steps (we want to avoid the cached tokens).
- Proceed to the Contrast UI's base DNS address. Example: https://app.contrastsecurity.com
- Log in as your e-mail address associated with a user configured for access to the enterprise application within Azure.
- Make sure the login works correctly and you are forwarded over to Azure for authentication and then back to the Contrast UI successfully.
See How to troubleshoot problematic SAML integrations if you run into 405/500s or any other type of failure. You may need to revert the SSO authentication to avoid locking users out of the application while working on this.
Enabling Contrast Group provisioning for users:
Within the Microsoft Entra admin center:
- Navigate to Home -> Applications -> Enterprise applications -> Contrast Security > Single Sign-on
- Select Edit in the Attributes & Claims tile
- Select + Add a group claim and set the following.
- Select Groups assigned to the application
- Source attribute = Cloud-only group display names
- Advanced options -> Customize the name of the group claim
- Name (required) = contrast_groups
- Save the settings
For the group mappings
- Within Microsoft Entra: Under the Users and groups section of the Contrast Security enterprise application.
- Note the exact names of the groups that show up here or add any that should
- Within Contrast UI: Organization Settings > Groups
- You will want to create a new group name via + Add Group for every group you have listed under Users and Groups in Azure.
- Set the appropriate access to applications you'd like to control with this group.
- Ensure Add users to their Contrast groups upon SSO login is selected under the Single Sign-On settings.
- Once complete, new users provisioned into the system will be assigned to the group configured in the mapping. This topic in our docs covers more information around that behavior.